Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Some Thoughts On Alden

I went to the Alden store at 921 F Street NW near Gallery Place a few weeks ago looking to convince myself to buy a pair of their legendary black cordovan oxfords. It was a Saturday, and the little storefront was full of fellow shoe-lovers. An excellent salesperson named Che helped me figure out my actual shoe size and brought out a 9.5E pair.  They fit perfectly and were very comfortable.

They were also nearly $600, which is part of the reason I didn't buy them. But beyond that, I just failed to fall in love with the silhouette. It seemed too loose somehow, too disconnected from the shape of the foot within, especially since my feet are kind of small for my height. I didn't pull the trigger.

The leather and craftspersonship are fantastic, and the silhouette may be perfect for you, so check 'em out.  At that level of quality (and price, for that matter), you can be picky about your tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and style ideas welcome, provided they are expressed respectfully.