Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bold Choices


Or maybe it just felt bold this morning while I was half-asleep.  One of the best ways to brainstorm new color combinations, and to teach yourself about how colors do and don't work together, is to push outside your comfort zone.  There are two ties I tend to wear with this shirt.  This morning, I forced myself to try a new one. 

I learned that cool whites and warm whites look very, very different when they're adjacent.  The warm white in the tie looks almost cream-colored in natural light next to the cooler white in the shirt.  So much of color is contextual.  It just takes practice to get a feel for it, and even then, I keep discovering new things.

The combination doesn't sing, but it definitely doesn't clash, either.

1 comment:

  1. I am for solids or vertical stripes, but have not yet evolved enough from the 1950s to wear checks.

    Regards  —  Cliff

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments, and style ideas welcome, provided they are expressed respectfully.