Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Shenanigans

I bent over to pick up a file from a bottom drawer at the office the other day and heard a dreaded sound.  I knew I would have to get the seat re-stitched on my pants, but only once I got back into the office and hid myself could I survey the true damage.  Not only had the seat seam come apart, but the fabric itself had suffered a massive blowout--probably five inches--orthogonal to the seat seam.

I dashed to the Fair Oaks Mall Macy's and picked up a pair of winterweight dark-gray trousers.  The original suit was a dark navy herringbone, so the slacks match the jacket in seasonal texture as well as tonal sobriety.

This is, of course, shenanigan number two of this post: The old saw is that, while one might wear suit pants with a non-matching jacket in a pinch, one ought never do the reverse.  A good rule in theory; most men's trousers have less sheen than most men's suit jackets.  But when you have a jacket that is already not sheeny and even slightly more casual than, say, a pinstripe suit (due to the herringbone weave) and pants that are more formal (dark gray; fabric with a bit of nub to it), everything is fine, brah.

And they were on sale!

2 comments:

  1. I respectfully dissent. Suit jackets are readily distinguishable from blazers and sports coats (in significant respects other than formality and sheen). And a man caught wearing a suit jacket with anything other than the matching trousers is guilty of being poorly dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welllllllll I guess you're just going to have to take my word for it. Or maybe list the ways the two are readily distinguishable.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments, and style ideas welcome, provided they are expressed respectfully.