Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Punctilios: Pants-Pockets Poofs


You are looking down my right hip at the slacks of my (I think) second-favorite suit, made by Hickey Freeman's now-defunct Hickey label, which stressed a more modern cut.  I got it at Filene's for 70% off list price. 


Anyway, my point is, my tailor says my hips are too big for my waist (not sure how to take that, Darryl!), so as a result, the hip pockets flare visibly.  I'm not happy about this, but there's nothing more to be done.  But don't despair too much on my behalf; the photos of pants on, say, Calvin Klein's retail website often display the flare, so it's clearly either (1) a problem facing more than one person out there and enough to boggle even the most skilled model-fitter, or (2) normal. 

I suppose the line between the two is not so clear, and that's encouraging.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lee, I loved the hickey line, very cool stuff, too bad they let it go away.

    This happens to me too, my hips are to big for my waist .. I have had my tailor let out the seat of my pants to give a little room for the pockets. Ask Daryl about it ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know why people have such a hard time accepting that while they might not be fat....they aren't built for slim fit suits (you need to be rail thin for these to really work well). Otherwise, you look like you are trying as hard as you can to be trendy. Just get a regular cut suit without pleats! What's the problem???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon 1 - interesting idea. How did more room in the seat reduce the pocket flare? And was it worth the trade-off?

    Anon 2 - I don't consider this suit to be particularly slim-fitting. It's actually close to my Platonic ideal that I'm always dickering toward when I get more waist suppression or reduce the leg volume on my JAB suits. In fact, the poof problem was worse before I got the waist suppressed (slightly) on these pants.

    Anons 1 and 2 - thanks for visiting and commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments, and style ideas welcome, provided they are expressed respectfully.