Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer Casual: Espadrilles

  
Espadrilles are having their moment in the sun.  They are somewhat like slip-on deck shoes but with a woven-straw sole and a canvas upper.  These, in navy, were $26 at Soludos.  Even after espadrilles are no longer "in style," they will be stylish.

Be wary, though.  Shoes of this style have to be small enough so that your heel sits firmly in the heel cup; otherwise, the shoe will fall off when you step.  Consider buying a half-size smaller than you normally do, especially since Soludos says that their shoes are likely to stretch.  They suggested a size 43 for me; after I got burned on an overly large Asos pair last year, I went with a 42.  Perfect for my right foot but almost too big for my left.

Pablo Neruda wore espadrilles to the beach.  What more reason do you need to buy a pair?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, and style ideas welcome, provided they are expressed respectfully.