Friday, April 16, 2010

Casual: Breaking Up The Uniform

Brother Elliot recently asked if the "dude going-out uniform" was acceptable--dark jeans, an untucked button-down sport shirt, and loafers.  My answer to this question is an extremely un-emphatic "yes".  By the same token, the D.C lawyer's uniform is a suit, a button-collar dress shirt with barrel cuffs, a regimental tie, and beat-up laced cap-toes, but that doesn't mean we have to settle for that.

However, the solution to the Casual Uniform is not simple, so I'm going to spread it out over many posts as I gain little insights.  (I will be learning along with you.  My limited expertise is confined to business dress.)


Exhibit 1: An Interesting Belt.



I try to incorporate my Texas roots into my style, and this interchangeable-buckle belt (similar example) fits the bill.  Lord knows where I got the buckle.  I went through a belt-buckle phase in middle school for some reason, so this buckle is...well, an uncomfortably high number of years old.

Adds a little spice to jeans + button-down + loafers/boots/[your idea here].

2 comments:

  1. For your reference, the belt shown is about 1.25 inches wide. Just barely fits in my belt loops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon me sir, but button down collars are, in fact, an "abomination before a court of law."

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments, and style ideas welcome, provided they are expressed respectfully.